Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Electronic Miracle, sort of

Suppose one could say it was bound to happen.

There I was a fishing from the dock catch the "specks." Below is a pic made from the iphone of me papa, tossing the plastic for the salt water trout. The "plastic" are glow in the dark shrimp mimics and they are hot for the hooking when used under the green floodlight in the late evening.
I was out on the pier, chatting with the papa and we got pretty worked up in some conversation that I am now forgetting. Was it lamenting the big one that got away? or was it the discussing the principle of green (490 nm) wavelength radiation maximally stimulating aquatic photoreceptors horizontally throughout the foodchain? Not sure,.... never the less, I was on the pier and was stepping back as part of a rod casting to stick the plastic out into the sweet zone. As my back foot was going down it just clipped off the back edge of the deck. realizing I was going to take a drink, I sprung backwards with the front leg that was still on the deck. This was a rather reflexive action that would allowing me to land on my feet out in the water. But the jump also gave me time to think. In the air, I realized my cell phone was in my pants pocket.

Let me ask you a question:

Do you think a cell phone and salt water are a good mix?

Is 310 osmolarity of charged electroltes a good thing for electronic devices?

....NO! being the obvious answer, I splashed down into mid thigh deep water. Quickly grabbing for the phone, I had trouble releasing it from its now dripping wet, zippered pants pocket. Many explicatives later, I finally freed the phone, but it was too late, the iphone was dripping with salt water. After running to the house to splash with fresh water and then frentic flinging out any residual liquid, I tried to shut the phone off. It refused to switch off because it auto restarted after powering down. About 10 trys latter it finally succeed in switching off (...or did it just give up the ghost and die?). I became emotionally drained from the subsiding adrenaline rush, so we decided to go to bed and I would deal with it in the AM.

The next morning hooked it up to data transfer to my laptop. I wanted to see if I could extract my photos off first, because they were the only items not automatically backed up. It fired up and I was able to get the pics. Even more miraculously it still surfed the internet and did email. Audio was dead upon attempting to use for a phone call, but I was quite surprised it had any functionality at all. The next day though was another surprise as it took a phone call and the audio had started working again. Now the only thing still not working is the camera. I have not tried the ipod functionality yet, but that would be unlikely to be impaired if memory access functions are still alive.

This has been a mixed blessing though,. The phone has retained enough functionality so that I no longer have a good excuse to get the new "3G" iphone !!!????#@$#.

No comments: