Friday, January 27, 2012

World Travelers

They made it.

Prior to a text message a few hours ago, it was a day and a half since hearing the tentative plan to get the next flight possible.  Considering what I knew was going on for Christy, I knew this was fuzzy data at best.

24 hrs after hearing the travel intent, I had no word of what is up.  Like most everyone else back home here, I was relying on blog posts for much of my information.  A day after no word, I started crossing my fingers.

I know what travel out of Africa is like. I remember when we went to Ethiopia to get Alexi. The trip back with him was quite the adventure.  Still astounding to this day was the diaper incident. As some may remember this was the incredulous incident of improbable idiocy.  

36 diapers, a family pack, what nut bag needs to travel with 36 diaper....that is ludicrous overkill......Right?   Little did I now how stupid I was when I said to my Wife, "What the heck, we dont need this many diapers. I mean what is this, let me count, yes, 36 diapers. 36 DIAPERS!!!  This is ridiculous, we dont need 36 diapers just to get back to America!"  

I felt stupid lugging a pathetically bulging, fat sack of diapers onto the plane at the Addis Ababa airport.  One stewardess gave me that look.   You know, that look, the "Silly Farenge" look.  I wanted to say, "No not me. It her, my wife.....she made me do it!" 

Layover in Frankfurt at 3 AM and 12 diapers consumed, nerves frayed from mad sprints to cramped airplane laboratories, I started feeling a twinge of respect.  36 diapers, stupid of course, but hey at the rate we had been going, we certainly had been going thru them much faster than I thought we would.  12 hrs more and landing in JFK (or was it Atlanta, or Miami, who knows) I remember a few more mad dashes to crappy crappers while waiting in long and dungy customs lines.   Inventory when scrambling to catch a plane we almost missed, 10 more diapers let.   Wait a second, 10 more diapers  that 26 diapers we have churned thru wow we have been clipping along at one diaper per hour.  Intersting, you could almost tell time by dirty diaper time!   10 more diapers, and 6 hr flight no problem.   But hey, you got to give it to the wiffy, she knew what she was talking about!

Cut to the chase. Hit the ground in SLC. Another bathroom stop before hailing a taxi and guess what, The very last daiper!  The VERY LAST DIAPER!  That, and a few recycles into not-so-soilded jammies.  Well we limped into the house with the package.

This time, Christy traveling alone.  Well I saw the look on her face.......Need I say more?

No comments: