Sunday, January 25, 2009

are we there yet?

....soon.

The common answer to any question of a 2 year old.

Now I find myself full of the same excitement and anticipation. For soon, I will be with my family down under in NZ. I cant wait, I want it yesterday! waaah!

Been two weeks. Enough time to make one good and lonely for the family. Christy finally was able to touch base a few days ago and internet chat. Didn't last long as my battery crashed while we were chasing the pugs around the house. (huh?)

Let me explain. We were doing a video chat and Alexi wanted to see the pugs. I took the laptop off its power supply. Then I directed the laptop camera at the pugs. Alexi squealed with delight. Louie started his high pitch bark thinking that Momma and Alexi were home and ran to the front door. So we chased them to the door with the lap top. Once the pugs realized the sound was from the computer, the "does not compute" entered their eyes. A sniff at the screen, then a run to the couch for safety and practiced ambivalence. As I returned to talking to Christy, the battery conked out. The laptop being over 3 years old obviously needs a new battery. By the time I got things running again, christy and alexi were offline.

But it was great to hear their voice. It was the first contact from Christy in 9 days since I dropped her off at the airport. Kind of a long time to be in the dark, don't ya think?

Well it was not that dark. After about 4 days I was wondering why she had not contacted me. I called down to NZ with slim information about some cottage in Kaliliua bay. After about 5 calls to various places, I obtained a reliable witness. An owner reported a white mother with a little black boy traveling with the grandparents. They had just left his cottage two hours ago.

This was sufficient information to alleviate my fears of her having run into some serious problems. Poor me, evidently things were going so well, there was not enough spare time to miss me! But hey, thats much better than having my fearsome worries be her reality. And it was even better to hear her voice yesterday. Apparently the trout fishing is quite good down there. wooohooo!

So, it is time to bush the teeth, but on some anti-stink pit-sauce. Maybe even take a shower? (that my be going too far.) Then, get on a plane and get down there.
Speaking of planes, get this: I leave on the 24th. It is a 12+ hr flight. Yet I arrive on the 26th. ....where did Christmas go?

No comments: